Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Writing for the real world.

I think this kind of persuasive writing is a good way for students to become engaged.  I could have students write a persuasive letter to me, the principle, an editor, or an organization that advocates their position on a subject matter that they feel passionately about.  This could be in a form of a business letter concerning a neighborhood issue, proposal for a new skateboarding park, or a letter to the editor about the upcoming election.  This real world application could really motivate students.  Of course, teaching students that they might not get what they want, no matter how well the paper is written, is important.  Teaching that there are a lot of politics that go into an idea that affects the community and there are a lot of things to consider.  Nevertheless, being able to have your voice heard is an important life skill to obtain. 

I think it all comes back to audience.  Why write something that just a teacher is going to see?  If a student has to write something to someone about something that matters to them, they have an important audience to consider.  Herrington suggests to have some sort of screening process the student must have to go through in order to send out the letter, like the School Based Decision Making council he mentions in the article.  (114)

Here is my link for the week.  Here's a ReadWriteThink website that might be a good starting point to introduce writing for the real world.

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca,

    I absolutely agree with your thoughts regarding audience. I have been thinking a lot about my students and their tendencies in writing, and I have been thinking back to that speaker/audience exercise Tyler had us participate in at Crosswinds. It really is a good idea! I may even do it with my students. I also really enjoy the idea of allowing the students to write about something they are passionate about. It puts more stake in the subject and leads to a better piece of persuasive writing, especially when the audience is being considered in diction choice.

    After all, aren't we just prepping them for the real world?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,

    Writing for the real world works. The school I teach at has used real world writing activities, specifically grant-writing, to help fund public parks. In the twin cities especially, there is a group called Eco Education that will come and do workshops with students to apply for and enact grants for public service and public greening. I have also had some success this year working with the Great River Master Plan, and having students attend sessions with consultants, park planners, etc. who are working on re-developing the Mississippi corridor through the twin cities.

    ReplyDelete