Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's so frustrating to hear that students can't reach their full technological potential in school.  But I can't use blogs or You Tube at South High School in Minneapolis.  I'm completely supportive of integrating technology into my classroom, but I not allowed to!

Furthermore, my current cooperating teacher in 73 years old and she hardly uses any technology that's available in her classroom, let alone venture out into the Media Lab and complete a more technologically-based assignment.  Yesterday, she handed out questions for all groups on a piece of paper to every student in the class:120 copies.  The student worked on a project and each group handed in one piece of paper at the end of the period.  I overheard one student saying, "Why didn't she just project the questions on the board, it would've saved a ton of paper."  Exactly.  

I purposely took two technology classes last semester because I was feeling inadequate with technology.  I learned so much and I don't feel like I can apply any of it!  I'm beginning to feel just as frustrated as many of my students.  She really discourages any use of technology because sometimes it doesn't work. 

Well,  here is a SmartBoard website!  I heard a rumor that my coop teacher actually turned down a SmartBoard in her classroom!  This website shows the benefits of SmartBoards!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! That makes me sad because my co-op uses technology ever day and she doesn't have a smartboard or a document cam. Boo! I never realized, either, how much paper schools use. They print and print and print and then toss it in the recycle bin. You're right - technology cuts down on printing costs. The University does it by making their instructors feel guilty by printing too much (and also putting up caps too). Students don't necessarily learn more from paper.

    (Plus smartboards let me draw lines and point at things. I teach better that way)

    ReplyDelete