Saturday, November 6, 2010

Podcasting Reflection

It was encouraging to learn that other teachers such as Rebecca Oberg have been integrating spoken word, rap, and songwriting into their curriculum.  In Rebecca's case, her students made up their own rap lyrics in response to Cather in the Rye.  I had my recent high school graduate recite lyrics to a poem for his rap. 

First of all, it was really fun to do this project.  But, It took me and the rapper a long time to create this podcast.  He was kind of a perfectionist and really wanted to edit a lot and get it perfect.  He did the first two or three stanzas and then "cut and pasted" his own chorus.  That being said, I think it turned out exceptionally well.  But, I had to send him home after three hours.  I don't know how I would give this assignment as an option unless we had a multi-media room and a lot of time to complete the project. 

I would also have to teach kids how to use royalty-free beats, much like royalty-free images.  There is a lot to learn about copyright issues: it's hard to keep up.

Like I said in my previous post on podcasting, I think my rapping project turned out well and could really engage some unengaged students.  Oh, here is The Raven once again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment