Monday, September 20, 2010

Search This

I am thinking about doing my final project on Gentrification and Urban Renewal, or using music to study poetry. If I did the Gentrification project, I would use our upcoming Ethnographic project, the play, "Radio Golf" by August Wilson, "House on Mango Street" mentioned in the readings, and perhaps "The Wire," I want to explore how students could do a project on this issue because this issue directly affects students living in urban settings. I could use Diigo as a bookmarking site to save relevant findings. Because I currently attend a University, I have access to a great plethora of databases I explored in My U's portal. I would like to explore other free databases that high school students could use as well. I started utilizing Google Reader and am excited to be able to use it more effectively.

I think finding relevant information on the internet is a huge issue. Given the current state of the US internet, anybody can put their opinion "out there." Honestly, I am still quite surprised that we haven't experienced more censoring. That being said, I do believe that we will see a more government-censored internet, like in China, in our life times. For the time being, our censorship is in the hands of huge corporations that buy spots at the top of search engines like Google. Although Google must disclose this information (in tiny print at the top of the search result), it doesn't seem to affect the discretion of users.

As far as the Enthnography assignment, I think I might want to focus on The Loring Pasta Bar because the restaurant has preserved the antiquity of the building itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment